May 12, 2012
WACO, Texas - The No. 25-ranked University of Tulsa women's tennis team saw its season come to a close as the Golden Hurricane fell 4-0 to No. 13 Baylor in the NCAA Second Round Saturday afternoon at the Hurd Tennis Center.
Tulsa ended the year with a 23-4 mark and an appearance in the second round for the third-straight season. The three-time defending Conference USA Champions also won 20 matches for the sixth-straight year.
"We ran into a really good Baylor team today," Tulsa Head Coach Dean Orford said. "They were ready and well-prepared as usual. It was a very tough match. I thought we made a run towards the end but they were tough and they deserved to win."
Play began strong for the host Lady Bears (25-7), as they secured the doubles point on courts 1 and 3.
Junior Michelle Farley and sophomore Maria Sant'Anna fell 8-6 to Sona Novakova and Nicole Kosakowski on the third court, and the No. 68-ranked senior tandem of Anastasia Erofeeva and Ewa Szatkowska lost 8-2 to No. 78 Nina Secerbegovic and Megan Horter on the top court.
Senior Bonny Davidson and sophomore Samantha Vickers held a 5-4 lead over Diana Nakic and Ema Burgic on the second court when the match was halted once BU won the opening point of the match.
No. 23-ranked Secerbegovic defeated No. 49 Erofeeva 6-2, 6-0 at the top of the singles lineup, and Horter defeated Davidson 6-2, 6-1 from the sixth flight.
TU was unable to mount any kind of comeback attempt, and the home side secured the win on the second court when No. 16 Nakic defeated No. 64 Vickers 6-4, 6-2.
Two of the three matches still on court were in third sets when play was stopped.
The season is not yet over for Erofeeva, as she is tentatively scheduled to participate in the NCAA Singles Championship May 22-27 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga.
Vickers is the third alternate in the field and will await word if she will also receive a bid.
Tennis Match Results
May 12, 2012 at Waco, Texas
(Hurd Tennis Center)
#13 Baylor 4, #25 Tulsa 0
1. #23 Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. #49 Anastasia Erofeeva (TLS) 6-2, 6-0
2. #16 Diana Nakic (BU) def. #64 Samantha Vickers (TLS) 6-4, 6-2
3. #56 Sona Novakov (BU) vs. Ewa Szatkowska (TLS) 4-6, 6-2, 1-2, unfinished
4. Ema Burgic (BU) vs. Isaura Enrique (TLS) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
5. Jordaan Sanford (BU) vs. Michelle Farley (TLS) 6-4, 3-6, unfinished
6. Megan Horter (BU) def. Bonny Davidson (TLS) 6-2, 6-1
1. #78 Nina Secerbegovic/Megan Horter (BU) def. #68 Ewa Szatkowska/Anastasia Erofeeva (TLS) 8-2
2. Diana Nakic/Ema Burgic (BU) vs. Bonny Davidson/Samantha Vickers (TLS) 4-5, unfinished
3. Sona Novakova/Nicole Kosakowski (BU) def. Michelle Farley/Maria Sant'Anna (BU) 8-6
Tulsa 23-4; National ranking #25
Baylor 25-7; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,2)