May 20-23 Tulsa Country Club Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hosted by the Tulsa Sports Commission and The University of Tulsa
The University of Tulsa, Tulsa Sports Commission and Tulsa Country Club are proud to serve as hosts for the 2014 NCAA® Division I Women's Golf Championships. It's the second time that this event has been held at Tulsa Country Club. Duke University captured the 1999 NCAA title at TCC.
The field of 24 teams will compete for the team championship, while 126 select individuals will also be competing for the individual title. The championship course plays to a par 70 and measures 6,194 yards.
Tulsa Country Club
Chartered in 1908
Four years later in 1908, with Tulsa's population scarcely ten thousand, Tulsa Country Club was chartered and moved to its present site. Officially incorporated by the state of Oklahoma in March, TCC was built on land leased from the Horner Kennedy family for a yearly fee of $4.00 per acre. The original capitalization fee was $10,000.
Albert Tillinghast, one of the foremost course architects then and now, was employed to design a nine-hole course. Since holes were named rather than numbered at the time, Profanity Creek, Climax, High Ball, and Outward Bound became legendary with golfers who played on the course. Players contended with such problems as guiding their shots around Horner Kennedy's dairy cows. Other snags included rainy conditions, which often made the lane leading to Osage Road impassable for the horse and draw buggies, which provided transportation for the golfers and sand boxes, which became too moist for players who had to fashion sand "tees" for the ball. Conversation among players might have touched on Dan MacKay, who not only built hickory-shafted golf clubs but taught the game, as well.
As Tulsa grew, so did the Club; but in 1914, the log cabin house that had provided a place for social gatherings as well as civic and community meetings burned. From the tragedy a debate arose as to the direction of TCC. One faction wanted to maintain a limited membership and reconstruct the old clubhouse much as it had been prior to the fire; the second group favored a big town country club concept that would broaden membership and social aspects of the club. The progressive thinkers dominated, and a new clubhouse was built in 1916.
Avant-garde leadership set the course for the future of TCC. In 1920, a new lease was signed with the Kennedy family, and Club members endorsed replacing sand greens with grass greens. Then, in 1935, TCC added a swimming pool to expand services so that families of golfers could be included. Further updating occurred with the remodeling of the clubhouse in 1946 to include a small dining room and a cocktail lounge, and in 1954 a watering system was installed to keep greens and grounds even more lush and beautiful. In 1967, a new clubhouse was built in its current location on Union Avenue.
Finally, in 1988, TCC experienced its latest golf course renovation. Headed by Jay Morrish, the refurbishing resulted in greater recognition and prestige for Tulsa and TCC members. The fine work completed by Mr. Morrish warranted praise from the USGA, hailing it "one of the best jobs ever." In 2005, TCC began formalizing a Master Plan that would include renovations for the clubhouse, swimming pool and the golf course. The first phase of this plan included construction of a new resort-style pool complex in 2007. The following year the pool locker rooms and Cafe were renovated. In 2008, acclaimed architect Rees Jones was hired to restore TCC's golf course. Rees, known as "The Open Doctor" for his many restoration projects on U.S. Open host golf courses, designed a new Tulsa Country Club course using the foundation that A.W. Tillinghast put in place in 1920. This was to be a large-scale project that would include completely new greens complexes, fairways, irrigation, additional ponds and changes in the overall design of the course.
While the details, planning, and funding strategies were being finalized for the course renovation, TCC's Board of Directors moved on to the clubhouse. TCC's clubhouse, which was built in the mid 60's, was also in need of restoration. The Club hired Mr. Tom Hoch, one of the most respected clubhouse designers in the country, to develop a plan to renovate the clubhouse interior within the footprint of the existing clubhouse. A three phase, comprehensive design was presented to the Club. The first phase, which was the largest, would include a complete renovation of all the member-use areas of the clubhouse. A second and third phase would include the banquet spaces and exterior elevation of the club.
In April 2010, construction began on the first phase of the clubhouse renovation. This project was completed in August with rave reviews from members and guests. The new clubhouse featured new locker rooms for men and women, men's and ladies' lounges, game room, Kid's Klub, Pro Shop and Fitness Center, as well as a cocktail lounge and two additional dining rooms.
The historic TCC golf course was reopened in July 2011 featuring a redesign by the acclaimed architect, Rees Jones.
Much has changed in the one-hundred years since the inception of TCC, but one thing has remained constant; TCC has combined tradition, prestige and hospitality, establishing itself as on of Tulsa's most noted landmarks.