The mission of the NCAA is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the campus educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body. With this in mind, the Student-Athlete Affairs Program was created to support the student development initiatives of its member institutions and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the university setting. In the process of achieving this mission, the Student-Athlete Affairs Program will:
- Support efforts of every student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
- Use athletics as preparation for success in life.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity among student-athletes.
- Enhance interpersonal relationships in the lives of student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in building positive self-esteem.
- Enable student-athletes to make meaningful contributions to their communities.
- Promote ownership by the student-athletes of their academic, athletic, personal and social responsibilities.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Encourage the development of leadership skills.
The University of Tulsa believes that support services should be available to student-athletes that address the total needs of the individual. Balancing academics and athletics is challenging and requires effort. It is important for a student-athlete to remember that the same behaviors that are required for success in athletics, such as commitment, discipline, determination, and hard work are also necessary for academic, personal, and professional achievement. Support services offered by The University of Tulsa will provide the Student-Athlete with the opportunities that will allow them to become well-rounded individuals and experience success.
The University of Tulsa participates in the NCAA Student-Athlete Affairs Program. This program is designed to address the total development of student-athletes. Through the program, The University of Tulsa pledges to support student development and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience on this campus.
The University of Tulsa works with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to support development in five areas: academics, athletics, personal development, career development, and community service.