May 12, 2012
Complete Results |
NEW ORLEANS, La. - Tulsa senior Carl Stones won the gold medal for the second-straight year in the 3,000m Steeplechase on the second day of the 2012 Conference USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships at Tad Gormley Stadium.
His mark of 8:53.39 broke the meet record and scored 10 points for the men. Sophomore Emmett Cookson added another point for the Golden Hurricane with an eighth-place finish in the same event. His mark of 9:20.70 was the fourth best in school history.
Junior James Keilbarth placed ninth in 9:26.22, and junior Kevin Mayer was 14th in 9:48.31. Both marks were personal bests.
The Tulsa men are in fifth place after the second day of competition with 32 points. The women sit in 11th place with seven points.
"Carl ran a great race today and we were happy he was able to get the meet record," Tulsa Head Coach Steve Gulley said. "The kids handled the weather delays well. There were definitely more positives than minuses today."
Junior Alex Sementelli collected four points for TU with his fifth-place finish in the decathlon. He totaled 6,206 points in the event. His top events of the day were the 110m hurdles and the discus. He finished fourth in both and earned 747 points in the hurdles. He finished fifth in the javelin with a personal-best mark of 48.93m (160-06).
Freshman Chase Sammons was seventh in the shot put with a mark of 16.02m. He earned two points for Tulsa with the second-best throw in school history.
Senior Justin Smith and junior Julian Frazier both qualified for the finals in two races. Smith posted qualifying marks of 10.93 and 21.47 in the 100m dash and 200m dash, respectively. Frazier's preliminary time of 21.51 in the 200m dash was fifth-best in school history. He also qualified for tomorrow's final in the 400m dash with a time of 47.23.
Junior All-American Chris O'Hare qualified fourth in the 800m run in 1:50.46.
Junior Carolin Imhof finished eighth in the heptathlon with 4,797 points to pick up TU's lone point of the day.
Her best event of the day was the javelin, where she recorded a second-place mark of 37.64m. She earned 688 points in the 800m run after finishing 10th in 2:30.42.
Junior Sarah Macpherson qualified for tomorrow's 1,500m finals after posting the fastest preliminary time of 4:35.86. Sophomore Lauren Collette qualified third in 4:35.95, and junior Melanie Hughes qualified ninth in 4:36.12.
Sophomore Katherine Camp recorded a personal-best time of 2:09.93 to qualify fifth in the 800m run prelims. Junior Done Vermaak qualified eighth in 2:10.93.
2012 CONFERENCE USA OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
May 12, 2012 at New Orleans, La.
(Tad Gormley Stadium)
MEN'S STANDINGS (through 6 events)
1. Houston - 54
2. Rice - 43
3. Memphis - 41
3. UTEP - 41
5. Tulsa - 32
6. East Carolina - 31
7. Southern Miss - 30
8. Tulane - 1
TULSA MEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
100m Dash Prelims
6. Justin Smith - 10.93 (Q)
200m Dash Prelims
5. Justin Smith - 21.47 (Q)
6. Julian Frazier - 21.51 (Q) (fifth in school history)
400m Dash Prelims
7. Julian Frazier - 47.23 (Q)
12. David Fitter - 49.03 (personal best)
16. Andrew Jameson - 49.79 (personal best)
21. Bryce Cason - 50.39
800m Run Prelims
4. Chris O'Hare - 1:50.46 (Q)
19. Brian Tabb - 1:55.76
110m Hurdle Prelims
12. Colt Johnson - 15.56
3,000m Steeplechase (11 points for TU)
1. Carl Stones - 8:53.39 (10 points, meet record)
8. Emmett Cookson - 9:20.70 (1 point, fourth in school history)
9. James Keilbarth - 9:26.22 (personal best)
14. Kevin Mayer - 9:48.31 (personal best)
Shot Put (2 points for TU)
7. Chase Sammons - 16.02m (52-06.75) (two points, second in school history)
Decathlon Final Results (4 points for TU)
5. Alex Sementelli - 6,206 points
Decathlon #6 - 110m Hurdles
4. Alex Sementelli - 15.87 (747 points)
Decathlon #7 - Discus Throw
4. Alex Sementelli - 34.01m (111-07) (544 points)
Decathlon #8 - Pole Vault
6. Alex Sementelli - 3.50m (11-05.75) (482 points)
Decathlon #9 - Javelin Throw
5. Alex Sementelli - 48.93m (160-06) (573 points, personal best)
Decathlon #10 - 1,500m Run
7. Alex Sementelli - 5:00.77 (555 points)
WOMEN'S STANDINGS (through 6 events)
1. Southern Miss - 36
2. SMU - 32
3. East Carolina - 28
T4. Rice - 26
T4. UCF - 26
6. Memphis - 23
7. UAB - 17
T8. UTEP - 15
T8. Houston - 15
10. Marshall - 9
11. Tulsa - 7
TULSA WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
200m Dash Prelims
22. Audrey Jean-Baptiste - 25.14
400m Dash Prelims
11. Audrey Jean-Baptiste - 55.95 (personal best)
16. Racquell Powell - 57.05
800m Run Prelims
5. Katherine Camp - 2:09.93 (Q) (personal best)
8. Done Vermaak - 2:10.93 (Q)
1,500m Run Prelims
1. Sarah Macpherson - 4:35.86 (Q)
3. Lauren Collette - 4:35.95 (Q)
9. Melanie Hughes - 4:36.12 (Q)
16. Natasha Cockram - 4:48.46
15. Carolin Imhof - 5.53m (18-01.75)
18. Hartly Carlisle - 10.66m (34-11.75)
Heptathlon Final Results (1 point for TU)
8. Carolin Imhof - 4,797 points (one point)
Heptathlon #5 - Long Jump
7. Carolin Imhof - 5.33m (17-06.00) (651 points)
Heptathlon #6 - Javelin Throw
2. Carolin Imhof - 37.64m (123-06) (622 points)
Heptathlon #7 - 800m Run
10. Carolin Imhof - 2:30.42 (688 points)