Facebook.com Twitter.com YouTube.com

Entry No. 5

Cross Country Home

Men's and Women's Cross Country Earns USTFCCCA Academic Awards


Men's Cross Country Prepped for NCAA Championships


Hurricane Soccer & Track Stadium

Tulsa Hurricane on Facebook

Tulsa Hurricane on Twitter

October 5th

Today was busy, but also very rewarding. This morning we practiced at Hechtvet Hill. It was the perfect temperature for running, as it was not too hot and not too cold. We did mile repeats with four minutes rest in between each one. We completed three miles all together and on our last one we did an 800m interval.

I felt really strong in today's practice and I was glad to see that my times had improved from when I did this same workout earlier in the season. I enjoy seeing signs of improvement in my running because it keeps me motivated to continue working hard in practice. When we arrived back at campus I ate breakfast in the cafeteria with team and then got ready to start my busy day of classes.

My first class was biology at 9:30 a.m., followed by American History, Math, and lastly English which ended at 3:15 p.m. When I arrived back at my dorm my roommate Renine Le Heron (who is also on the team) and my other teammate Shelby Riker and I went for a 3 mile jog at the track. When we finished Coach Gulley told all of us to go look in our lockers in the locker room. In each locker every athlete on the x-country and track team received a huge sports bag. Inside the bag contained running pants, a polar fleece zip-up shirt, a dri-fit short-sleeved shirt, a grey sweat suit (which is very comfortable by the way) and a back-pack for school. It felt like Christmas!

After we finished trying on all of our new clothing we went into the training room to have an ice bath. People may think that we're crazy because we sit in a tub of water that is 50 degrees. But it really helps in my recovery because it assists in eliminating the lactic acid that builds up in my legs from the previous workout. At first, I couldn't handle the cold ice water, but as I do it more and more I find it less painful. The first few minutes are the hardest, but the pain soon goes away because my legs are too numb to feel anything.

At 5:30 p.m. we did some lifting in the weight room. We also worked on our core strength by doing exercises with the Swiss ball. After weights we went to dinner and then all athletes had to attend a mandatory alcohol awareness presentation. Yes, it was a very busy day, but our new sporting gear made it all worth while!