Facebook.com Twitter.com YouTube.com

Tulsa Falls to Marshall 105-100 in Three Overtimes

Steven Idlet

Steven Idlet
Men's Basketball Home

Tulsa Basketball to Host SMU, UConn, Cincinnati and Temple in 2015-16 Season

Basketball to Play in Far West Classic Invitational in December

Tulsa Basketball Adds Etou and Brown for 2015-16


Donald W. Reynolds Center

Tulsa Basketball on Facebook

Tulsa Hurricane on Twitter


CBSSports.com Hoops

Top 25 Rankings


March 8, 2012

Box Score |  Notes |  C-USA Postgame Notes Get Acrobat Reader |  C-USA Postgame Quotes Get Acrobat Reader |  Photo Gallery 

Memphis, Tenn. - In only the second triple overtime game in school history, the Marshall Thundering Herd eliminated Tulsa in the quarterfinals of the Conference USA Men's Basketball Championship with a 105-100 win on Thursday afternoon from the FedEx Forum in Memphis. The score was tied 64-64 at the end of regulation, 74-74 in the first overtime and 86-86 after the second overtime period

Tulsa ends the season at 17-14 overall, while Marshall improves to 20-12 and advances to face the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in the semifinals on Friday.

Tulsa freshman Eric McClellan had a career-high 25 points, while Steven Idlet totaled 20 points. Kodi Maduka, Scottie Haralson and Jordan Clarkson each had 14 points for the Hurricane. Marshall's DeAndre Kane and Shaquille Johnson led the Herd with 40 and 25 points, respectively.

It was a game that lasted nearly three hours and saw the two teams combine for 71 personal fouls, combined to make 68-of-101 free throws and total nine players fouling out of the contest.

The Herd came back from a six-point deficit in regulation with just over three minutes to play and out-scored the Hurricane 6-2 in that time span.

In the first overtime, Tulsa took the early lead on two Maduka free throws and never succumbed the lead, but couldn't win it in the first overtime when a Clarkson three-pointer fell short. A desperation heave by Marshall hit the rim, but bounced off putting the game in a second overtime. In the second OT, Tulsa took an 83-79 lead with 0:34 remaining and was ahead 86-84 with 0:17 left, but Kane raced the length of the court for a game-tying layup at the 0:12 mark.

Tulsa was ahead in the first 1:40 of the third overtime period, before Marshall took the lead for good at 97-95 on a Dago Pena three-pointer at the 2:20 mark. The Herd finished out the OT period outscoring Tulsa 8-5 to grab the 105-100 win and advance to Friday's semifinal round.

After scoring its first four points of the second half on free throws, Tulsa's inside game with D.J. Magley and Idlet scored the next six points to keep the Hurricane three points ahead of the Thundering Herd 42-39 with 15:48 remaining in the game.

The Herd tied the score at 43-43 with just over 13:30 to play on two Johnson free throws. Haralson's three-pointer put Tulsa ahead 48-43 after the 11:34 media timeout, but Marshall's DeAndre Kane quickly made it just a three-point Tulsa lead on a layup. Johnson's two free throws tied the game at 48 with 9:20 remaining.

Marshall took their first lead of the second half, 51-49, on a three-pointer by Kane with 8:35 of the second half. Idlet made 2-of-2 free throws to tie the score at 51-51 after Maduka missed two freebies seconds earlier.

Tim Peete's three-pointer at 5:48 put the Hurricane ahead 54-51. Tulsa took a five-point lead at 56-51 on two Idlet free throws. Clarkson's first three-pointer of the game came at the 3:23 mark, giving Tulsa a 62-56 lead. But Marshall responded with a dunk on the other end making it a four-point game with 3:06 remaining. Two McClellan free throws at 2:59 was then offset by two Johnson freebies for the Herd, making the score 64-60 at 2:24 on the clock.

A steal by Kane and fast-break layup put the Herd within two points, 64-62, with under two minutes to play. After another Tulsa turnover, Marshall tied the game at 64 on a Johnson runner in the lane at the one-minute mark.

Regulation ended with Marshall having two shots at winning the game, but both shots missed and Maduka grabbed the rebound to put the game in overtime.

In the first half, it was back and forth for a good part of the first 20 minutes. At the eight-minute media timeout and the game tied at 20-20, there had already been seven lead changes and five ties.

Marshall went on a 5-0 run out of the timeout before Tulsa's Rashad Smith's two-point basket cut the Herd's lead to 25-22 at the four-minute timeout to start a five-point possession for the Hurricane. Yous Mbao's flagrant foul after the made basket put Tulsa's Steven Idlet at the line for two free throws making one of two shots, and Jordan Clarkson made it a five-point play for the Hurricane off the inbounds play.

The Hurricane outscored the Herd 10-5 in the final 3:59 of the first 20 minutes to take a 32-30 lead into the half. McClellan led the Hurricane with 11 first-half points, while scoring the final seven points before intermission.

Haralson, who missed the final 9:08 of the first half with two fouls, followed McClellan in scoring with six points, converting two-of-two three-pointers was called for his second foul at the 9:08 mark of the first half

At halftime, Marshall shot 44.4 percent from the field, while Tulsa was shooting 41.7 percent from the field, 75-percent from three-point range, making 3-of-4, and 75-percent from the free throw line, converting 9-of-12 treys.

It was a first half that saw 10 lead changes and eight ties. Marshall began the game with a 12-4 advantage scoring in the pain within the first eight minutes, and ended the first half with a 20-10 advantage.