Facebook.com Twitter.com YouTube.com

Tulsa Prevails Over Oral Roberts, 83-68

Steven Idlet
Steven Idlet
Men's Basketball Home

Tulsa Basketball to Host SMU, UConn, Cincinnati and Temple in 2015-16 Season

Basketball to Play in Far West Classic Invitational in December

Tulsa Basketball Adds Etou and Brown for 2015-16


Donald W. Reynolds Center

Tulsa Basketball on Facebook

Tulsa Hurricane on Twitter


CBSSports.com Hoops

Top 25 Rankings


Nov. 16, 2010

Box Score |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery 

TULSA, Okla. - Steven Idlet scored 18 of his 20 points in the second half to lead Tulsa to an 83-68 victory over city rival Oral Roberts in the Annual Mayor's Cup. The game was played at 11:00 am in front of a crowd of 7,057 fans at the Donald W. Reynolds Center and an ESPN audience.

Tulsa improved to 1-1 on the season, while ORU fell to 0-2. It was the 47th meeting of the Mayor's Cup as the Hurricane increased its' series lead to 31-16.

Idlet and point guard Jordan Clarkson were each saddled with two early fouls and played a combined 11 minutes in the first half. They combined for six first-half points, but after the intermission totaled 31 points between them in 35 minutes. Idlet scored 18 points in 16 minutes, while Clarkson tallied 13 points in 19 minutes.

Clarkson ended the game with 17 points, while Justin Hurtt scored 19 and Scottie Haralson chipped in 13 points.

Trailing 36-29 at halftime, Tulsa went on a 10-0 run to start the second half and taking a 39-36 lead in the first 5:20. Hurtt knocked down two three-pointers in that stretch. ORU began the second half shooting 0-of-11 from the field and was 3-of-15 at one point.

Tulsa' Joe Richard broke a 41-41 tie with a slam dunk at the 13:19 mark to give the Hurricane a lead it would never relinquish. Over the next four minutes, Tulsa would score only four points on free throws by Clarkson, but the Eagles only managed five points of its own.

ORU cut the lead to one point, 47-46, before an Idlet jumper with 9:33 remaining in the game jump-started the Hurricane. A minute later free throws by Idlet and Hurtt put Tulsa ahead 53-46. Three-pointers by Clarkson and Hurtt and two baskets by Idlet gave the Hurricane its' first double-digit lead, 65-54, with 3:55 remaining in the contest.

Tulsa expanded its lead to 18 points while sinking its free throws and getting a three-point basket by Haralson down the stretch.

In the second half, the Hurricane shot 57-percent from the field, 46-perent from three-point range and 91-percent from the free throw line. Tulsa ended the game shooting 52-percent overall, 47-percent from behind the arc and 77-percent from the line.

ORU was led by Dominique Morrison's 19 points and Warren Niles with 14.

Tulsa will host Missouri State on Friday night at 7 pm. Missouri State is the team that handed ORU its' first loss a week ago.