Facebook.com Twitter.com YouTube.com

Tulsa Defeats Memphis in Overtime 37-31

Tulsa's Garrett Mills catches the game-winning touchdown pass over Memphis' Sam Brewer in overtime in Tulsa.
Tulsa's Garrett Mills catches the game-winning touchdown pass over Memphis' Sam Brewer in overtime in Tulsa.
Football Home

Tulsa's Homecoming Game Time Set; Tulane Game Moves to Friday

Tulsa Football Helmet is Part of College Football Hall of Fame and Chick-fil-A Fan Experience Exhibit



Skelly Field

Tulsa Football on Facebook

Tulsa Football on Twitter


CBSSports.com Football

Top 25 Rankings


Sept. 24, 2005

Final Stats |  Quotes |  Notes |  Photo Gallery
Final Statistics in PDF

TULSA, Okla. - The Golden Hurricane and Memphis Tigers kept a crowd of 20,645 fans in their seats at Skelly Stadium until the very end as Tulsa's first-ever Conference USA contest went to overtime. Tulsa pulled out the 37-31 win in the hard-fought wild game.

Tulsa scored on their first overtime play with a 25-yard pass from Paul Smith to Garrett Mills for a six-point lead, but Brad DeVault's PAT attempt hit the right upright and was no good. On a fourth-down and nine situation from the 24-yard line, Memphis' DeAngelo Williams was stopped two yards short of the first down as Bobby Blackshire knocked Williams out-of-bounds.

To start the game, Memphis had a short field on its first possession from the Tulsa 47-yard line and went the distance in five plays as Williams had 39 of the Tigers' 47 yards, including the final seven yards for the TD at the 11:43 mark of the first quarter.

The Hurricane answered that score with an 80-yard, 12-play drive that took 6:31 off the clock as Brandon Diles scored his second rushing touchdown in as many games with a three-yard run at the 5:12 mark.

Tulsa scored the first points of the second quarter on a 42-yard pass play from Smith to Uril Parrish, as Parrish took the screen pass and went down the visiting team sidelines for the score. The score capped a six-play, 80-yard drive to give the Hurricane 14-7 lead with 9:01 remaining in the first half.



Memphis knotted the score on a five-play, 78-yard drive as Williams scored his second touchdown of the game from 14 yards with 4:16 left until intermission. On Memphis' next possession a holding penalty negated screen pass that Williams made into a 75-yard gain. Memphis was held

Tarrion Adams' 64 yard run gave the Hurricane a 21-14 lead with 0:27 left in the first half.

At intermission, Tulsa held a 272 to 180-yard edge in total offense, while both teams had an impressive yard per play average with Tulsa at a 7.4 clip per play and Memphis averaged 6.7 yards per play. The Hurricane had a whopping 20:04 to 9:56 advantage in possession time.

Memphis' DeAngelo Williams had 112 yards and two TDs, while Adams led Tulsa's rushing attack with 71 first-half yards on four carries. Smith completed 9-of-12 passes for 131 yards, while Memphis Hudgens was 3-of-9 for 48 yards.

Tulsa scored first in the second half at the 11:12 mark as Smith threw 37 yards to Garrett Mills, capping a 62-yard, six-play drive. Memphis went 62 yards in nine plays to cut the Hurricane lead to seven points, as Hudgens threw 20 yards to Maurice Avery for the score.

The Hurricane went to the Memphis one-yard line, but failed to push the ball over for a touchdown, relying on a 19-yard Brad DeVault field goal to put Tulsa ahead by 10 points, 31-21, with 10:55 to play. The Tigers got those three points back on a 32-yard Stephen Gostkowski field goal, coring with 9:16 to play in the game.

Williams tied the game with 1:54 left in the game on an eight-yard run capping a 13-play, 65-yard drive, taking 4:25 off the clock.

The game then went to overtime when Smith and Mills connected on the Tulsa heroics.

For the game, Tulsa gained 431 yards with a possession time of 37:39, while Memphis gained 482 yards while holding onto the ball for 22:21.