No. 17 Tulsa Drops Close Match To No. 23 Texas
Jan. 20, 2013
TULSA, Okla. -
The No. 17 ranked Tulsa men’s tennis team dropped a heartbreaking 4-3 decision to No. 23 ranked Texas on Sunday, January 20 at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
The Golden Hurricane (0-2) won the doubles point for the second straight match, this time in comeback fashion. After losing at No. 2 doubles, freshman Carlos Bautista and junior Japie De Klerk defeated Alex Hilliard and Sudawa Sitaram 8-5 to knot the match at one apiece. Junior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Alejandro Espejo secured the doubles point with a come-from-behind 8-6 triumph over Chris Camillone and Nick Naumann.
After De Klerk lost to Soren Hess Oleson at No. 1 singles, Tristan Jackson gave TU a 2-1 lead with a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles against Andrew Korinek.
Bautista fought hard in his tilt at No. 5 singles, but ultimately fell to No. 98 ranked Nick Naumann 7-5, 6-1, which tied the match at two.
Marsland regained the lead for TU with a 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 win at No. 2 singles over Sudanwa Sitaram. Marsland was a perfect 2-0 in singles this weekend and won both of his doubles matches.
Ive fell to Lloyd Glasspool 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) which tied the match at three, and all eyes turned to Court No. 3 where Espejo and No. 43 ranked Daniel Whitehead. Espejo took the first set 6-4, but Whitehead came back to ultimately win the match 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 to give Texas its only lead of the match.
Tulsa will travel to Champaign, Ill. To take part in the first and second rounds of the National Indoor Championship. TU will face North Carolina on Saturday, January 26.
For all Tulsa Men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Friday, January 20
Michael D. Case Tennis Center- Tulsa, Okla.
No. 23 Texas vs. No. 17 Tulsa
1. #31 Soren Hess-Olesen (TEXAS) def. #34 Japie De Klerk (TLS) 6-3, 6-1
2. Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Sudanwa Sitaram (TEXAS) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
3. #43 Daniel Whitehead (TEXAS) def. #69 Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Lloyd Glasspool (TEXAS) def. Grant Ive (TLS) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. #98 Nick Naumann (TEXAS) def. Carlos Bautista (TLS) 7-5, 6-1
6. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Andrew Korinek (TEXAS) 7-5, 6-3
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Chris Camillone/Nick Naumann (TEXAS) 8-6
2. David Holiner/Daniel Whitehead (TEXAS) def. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) 8-1
3. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. Alex Hilliard/Sudanwa Sitaram (TEXAS) 8-5
Match Notes: Texas 3-0; National ranking #23 Tulsa 0-2; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,5,2,4,3)
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE