Men's Tennis Falls To No. 18 North Carolina In Close Affair
Jan. 25, 2013
URBANA, Ill. -
The University of Tulsa men’s tennis team, ranked No. 24 in the country, lost a close 4-3 decision to No. 18 North Carolina during the first round of National Indoors on Friday at the Atkins Tennis Center.
The Golden Hurricane (0-3) will face either host Illinois or Tennessee tomorrow at 3 p.m. in a consolation match.
“It was a tough match for us,” commented Head Coach Vince Westbrook. “We are going to have to become tougher. We are a couple of points away from being 3-0. We need to be able to close out sets and matches and play hard tomorrow.”
Tulsa jumped out to a 1-0 lead after doubles play marking the third straight match TU has captured the doubles point. TU grabbed a lead in doubles at the No. 3 slot as junior Japie De Klerk and freshman Carlos Bautista took down Stuart DePaolo and Oystein Steiro, 8-5. At No. 1 doubles, junior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Alejandro Espejo upsetted No. 44 Esben Hess-Olesen and Nelson Vick 8-5 to give TU the point.
In singles, UNC tied the match at one after No. 102 William Parker defeated No. 69 Espejo 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles. Bautista gave TU a 2-1 lead after dispatching Steiro in the No. 5 singles flight.
UNC assumed a 3-2 lead after picking up wins at Nos. 1 and 3 singles, but Jackson held off Taylor Meyer to gain a 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 6 singles. The tie didn’t last long, as minutes later Marsland was defeated by No. 58 Nelson Vick 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 to thwart TU’s upset bid.
For all Tulsa Men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
National Indoors First Round
#18 North Carolina 4, #24 Tulsa 3
Jan 25, 2013 at Urbana, Ill.
(Atkins Tennis Center)
1. #18 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) def. #34 Japie De Klerk (TLS) 6-3, 6-2
2. #58 Nelson Vick (UNC) def. Clifford Marsland (TLS) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
3. #57 Brett Clark (UNC) def. Grant Ive (TLS) 7-5, 6-4
4. William Parker (UNC) def. #69 Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 6-1, 6-2
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Oystein Steiro (UNC) 6-1, 6-
6. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Taylor Meyer (UNC) 6-1, 7-5
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. #44 Nelson Vick/Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 8-5
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) vs. Brett Clark/William Parker (UNC) 4-7, unfinished
3. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. Oystein Steiro/Stuart DePaolo (UNC) 8-5
North Carolina 3-0; National ranking #18
Tulsa 0-3; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,5,1,3,6,2)
First Round of National Indoors
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE