No. 24 Tulsa Men's Tennis Claims 4-2 Triumph Over No. 16 Illinois
Jan. 26, 2013
URBANA, Ill. -
The No. 24 Tulsa men’s tennis squad defeated No. 16 Illinois 4-2 at the Atikins Tennis Center to pick up its first win of the year on Saturday during a consolation match of National Indoors.
The Golden Hurricane (1-3) claimed the double point as junior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Alejandro Espejo defeated Alex Jesse and Farris Gosea, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles. Junior Japie De Klerk and freshman Carlos Bautista, playing No. 3 doubles, defeated Bruno Abdelnour and Jared Hilzik ,8-5. TU has won the doubles points in all four of its matches this year.
"It's a great team effort," commented Head Coach and Director of Tennis Vince Westbrook. "I'm happy with our doubles play, and was excited that we showed toughness in singles play."
Tulsa extended its lead to 2-0 as Espejo earned his first win of the season in singles with a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 4 singles over Abdelnour.
Illinois tied the match at 2-2 after earning wins at the Nos. 6 and 1 flights, but held on gaining wins thanks to some of its experienced players. At No. 2 singles, Marsland took down Stephen Hoh, 6-4, 6-4 to give TU a 3-2 advantage, and senior Grant Ive sealed the TU victory with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles to give the Hurricane the win.
The Golden Hurricane will host Minnesota on Friday, Feb. 1 in a 6 p.m. tilt at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. TU will close out the weekend on Sunday, Feb. 3 with a 1 p.m. home contest against Baylor.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Tulsa vs Illinois
Jan 26, 2013 at Urbana, Ill. (Atkins Tennis Center)
#24 Tulsa 4, #16 Illinois 2
1. Jared Hiltzik (ILL) def. Japie De Klerk (TLS) 6-2, 6-3
2. Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Stephen Hoh (ILL) 6-4, 6-4
3. Grant Ive (TLS) def. Tim Kopinski (ILL) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) 6-2, 6-2
5. Farris Gosea (ILL) vs. Carlos Bautista (TLS) 6-1, 5-7, 1-4, unfinished
6. Ross Guignon (ILL) def. Tristan Jackson (TLS) 6-0, 6-3
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Alex Jesse/Farris Gosea (ILL) 8-4
2. Ross Guignon/Tim Kopinski (ILL) vs. Tristan Jackson/Grant Ive (TLS) 6-7, unfinished
3. Japie De Klerk/Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Bruno Abdelnour/Jared Hiltzik (ILL) 8-5
Match Notes: Tulsa 1-3; National ranking #24 Illinois 2-2; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,6,1,2,3)
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE