No. 17 Tulsa Storms Past Arkansas, 6-1
Feb. 15, 2013
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -
After dropping the doubles point to No. 51 Arkansas, the No. 17-ranked Tulsa men’s tennis team roared back to defeat the Razorbacks 6-1 at the Dills Indoor Tennis Facility.
The Golden Hurricane improved its record to 5-4 on the season, while the Razorbacks fell to 8-3.
“I'm proud of our guys for coming back and playing well in singles,” commented Head Coach Vince Westbrook. “Arkansas is a very tough place to play and they had a big crowd on hand tonight, but our guys responded after dropping the doubles point.”
Tulsa lost the doubles point as UA’s Hall Fess and Santiago Munoz defeated sophomore Alejandro Espejo and freshman Matt Kirby 8-5 at No. 3 doubles. Arkansas clinched the point at No. 1 doubles as Manfred Jeske and Mike Nott defeated Tristan Jackson and Grant Ive, 8-7.
The Hurricane stormed back as TU won the first set in every singles tilt. Tulsa evened the score at one apiece as Ive, playing at No. 4 singles, defeated Munoz, 6-3, 6-2.
Freshman Carlos Bautista gave TU a 2-1 lead it would never relinquish after dispatching Jovan Parlic 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. Espejo, playing No. 3 singles, defeated Mike Ward 6-4, 6-4 to propel the Hurricane to a 3-1 advantage.
Clinching the match for TU was No. 101 Clifford Marsland, who defeated Gregorie Lehmann 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 at No. 1 singles. Junior Japie De Klerk, who checked in at No. 54 in this week’s ITA rankings, defeated Jeske at No. 2 singles 7-5, 6-2.
The Golden Hurricane play its second SEC opponent in as many matches as TU will face Texas A&M in College Station, Texas on Feb. 22 in a 6 p.m. tilt.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Tulsa vs Arkansas
Feb 15, 2013 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Dills Indoor Tennis Facility)
#17 Tulsa 6, #51 Arkansas 1
1. #101 Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Gregorie Lehmann (ARK) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
2. #54 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 7-5, 6-2
3. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 6-4, 6-4
4. Grant Ive (TLS) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
5. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
6. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
1. Manfred Jeske/Mike Nott (ARK) def. Tristan Jackson/Grant Ive (TLS) 8-7
2. Mike Ward/Gregorie Lehmann (ARK) vs. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) 7-7, unfinished
3. Hall Fess/Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Alejandro Espejo/Matt Kirby (TLS) 8-5
Match Notes: Arkansas 8-3; National ranking #51, Tulsa 5-4; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3,6)
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE