No. 32 Men's Tennis Defeats Host No. 48 TCU 4-3 Sunday
March 2, 2014
FORT WORTH, Texas - With the match tied at three, freshman Daniel Santos won the final singles match to give No. 32 University of Tulsa a 4-3 win over host No. 48 TCU on Sunday at Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
"This was a great team effort," head coach Vince Westbrook said. "This is probably the best TCU team that we've faced."
The Golden Hurricane (10-6) lost the doubles point after losing at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles position, but No. 24 senior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Dylan McCloskey won the only doubles match for Tulsa as they defeated No. 18 Nick Chappell and Will Stein 8-6.
Tulsa tied the match after No. 97 Japie De Klerk 6-0, 6-3 win at the No. 2 singles position over No. 93 Facundo Lugones and took a 2-1lead after No. 89 Marsland's 6-1, 2-6, 6-0 win at the No. 1 singles position over No. 51 Nick Chappell.
Marsland's win was his 81st career singles win, which ties him for the eighth most singles wins in school history.
The Horned Frogs (6-4) tied the match at two and took a 3-2 lead after winning at the No. 5 and No. 4 singles position, but the Golden Hurricane tied the match at three after No. 90 Alejandro Espejo's 6-7 (5), 7-6 (2), 7-5 win at the No. 3 singles position.
Espejo's win extended his streak of winning the last 10 matches and has posted a 13-2 record in team competition this season, including a perfect 9-0 at the No. 3 singles position.
The match came down to the No. 6 singles position. Santos won the first set 7-5, but fell in the second set 6-2 and tied the final set at six. Santos won the tie-breaker 7-4 and the set 7-6 to give TU a 4-3 win.
The Golden Hurricane takes a weekend off before traveling to Indian Wells, Calif., to face California on Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
No. 32 Tulsa 4, No. 48 TCU 3
1. #89 Clifford Marsland (TLS) d. #51 Nick Chappell (TCU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-0
2. #97 Japie De Klerk (TLS) d. #93 Facundo Lugones (TCU) 6-0, 6-3
3. #90 Alejandro Espejo (TLS) d. Arnau Dachs (TCU) 6-7 (5), 7-6 (2), 7-5
4. Trey Daniel (TCU) d. Dylan McCloskey (TLS) 6-4, 6-2
5. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) d. Carlos Bautista (TLS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Daniel Santos (TLS) d. Jhonathan Gonzalez (TCU) 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (4)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5, 4, 3, 6
1. #24 Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TLS) d. #18 Nick Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) 8-6
2. Arnau Dachs/Trey Daniel (TCU) d. Alejandro Espejo/Japie De Klerk (TLS) 8-7 (5)
3. Facundo Lugones/Hudson Blake (TCU) d. Matthew Kirby/Daniel Santos (TLS) 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE