No. 41 Men's Tennis Drops a Close Match to host No. 1 Ohio State 4-3 Friday
April 11, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - No. 41 University of Tulsa men's tennis team dropped a close match to host No. 1 Ohio State 4-3 on Friday at the Varsity Tennis Center after getting singles wins from senior Clifford Marsland, junior Alejandro Espejo and sophomore Dylan McCloskey.
"Overall, I thought we played very well," TU head coach Vince Westbrook said. "This is one of the toughest places to play in the country. We could have won the doubles point, but made a couple mistakes. We played well at the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 positions and we've shown a lot of improvement since our last match against Oklahoma."
The Buckeyes (24-3) won at the No. 3 doubles position 8-4, but the Golden Hurricane (10-12) won at the No. 1 doubles position after Marsland and McCloskey's 8-6 win over Peter Kobelt and Ralf Steinbach.
OSU clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win at the No. 2 doubles position to take an early 1-0 lead.
Ohio State took a 3-0 lead after a 6-1, 6-3 win at the No. 1 singles position and a 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 5 singles position.
No. 87 Marsland got TU on the board with a 6-2, 6-3 win over No. 74 Herkko Pollanen to cut OSU's lead to 3-1. With the win, Marsland moves up to eighth most singles wins in school history with 82.
But the Buckeyes clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win at the No. 6 singles position.
The Golden Hurricane won the final two matches with Espejo's 6-1, 7-6 (3) over Chris Diaz win at the No. 3 singles position and McCloskey's 7-6 (5), 6-2 win over No. 124 Kevin Metka at the No. 4 singles position.
The Golden Hurricane returns home for a doubleheader on Sunday with Incarnate Word at 10 a.m. and Oral Roberts at 3 p.m. at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
No. 1 Ohio State 4, No. 41 Tulsa 3
1. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) d. #67 Japie De Klerk (TLS) 6-1, 6-3
2. #87 Clifford Marsland (TLS) d. #74 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) d. Chris Diaz (OSU) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
4. Dylan McCloskey (TLS) d. #124 Kevin Metka (OSU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) d. Or Ram-Harel (TLS) 6-3, 6-0
6. #109 Hunter Callahan (OSU) d. Carlos Bautista (TLS) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 4
1. #24 Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TLS) d. Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 8-6
2. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) d. #59 Japie De Klerk/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 8-5
3. Kevin Metka/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) d. Carlos Bautista/Daniel Santos (TLS) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE