De Klerk clinched the match for TU as No. 41 Men's Tennis Defeats Incarnate Word 7-0 Sunday
April 13, 2014
TULSA, Okla. - Japie De Klerk's win at the No. 1 singles position clinched the match for the University of Tulsa as No. 41 Golden Hurricane defeated Incarnate Word 7-0 on Sunday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
The Golden Hurricane (11-12) won all three doubles matches. Sophomore Matthew Kirby and freshman Or Ram-Harel, playing in his first collegiate doubles match, won 8-1 at the No. 3 doubles position and No. 24 senior Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey won 8-3 at the No. 1 doubles position to clinch the doubles point.
No. 87 Marsland extended the Golden Hurricane's lead to 2-0 over Incarnate Word (14-6) after a 6-1, 6-3 win at the No. 2 singles position and Santos gave Tulsa a 3-0 lead after a 6-2, 6-0 win at the No. 6 singles position.
Marsland's win was his 83rd career singles win and needs one more win to tie for seventh most in school history.
No. 67 senior Japie De Klerk clinched the match for Tulsa with a 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 1 singles position to give TU a 4-0 lead.
Bautista won 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 5 singles position to give Tulsa a 5-0 lead and Ram-Harel won 6-4, 7-6 at the No. 4 singles position for his first collegiate singles win.
McCloskey finished the match with a 7-6 (4), 6-2 win at the No. 3 singles position. McCloskey trailed 4-3 in the tie-breaker of the first set, but battled back to win the four points to win the tie-breaker and the set.
The Golden Hurricane hosts the Conference USA Men's Tennis Championships from Thursday, April 17 until Sunday, April 20 at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
No. 41 Tulsa 7, Incarnate Word 0
1. #67 Japie De Klerk (TLS) d. Jair Assuncao (UIW) 6-3, 6-2
2. #87 Clifford Marsland (TLS) d. Leonard Ivic (UIW) 6-1, 6-3
3. Dylan McCloskey (TLS) d. Josip Smoljan (UIW) 7-6 (4), 6-2
4. Or Ram-Harel (TLS) d. Tucker Brown (UIW) 6-4, 7-6
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) d. Brandon Davis (UIW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Daniel Santos (TLS) d. Antonio Cavazos (UIW) 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 3
1. #24 Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TLS) d. Leonard Ivic/Josip Smoljan (UIW) 8-3
2. Carlos Bautista/Daniel Santos (TLS) d. Tucker Brown/Jair Assuncao (UIW) 8-5
3. Matthew Kirby/Or Ram-Harel (TLS) d. Brandon Davis/Antonio Cavazos (UIW) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE