No. 23 Tulsa Men's Tennis Drops 4-2 Conference USA Championship Match to Memphis
April 21, 2013
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -
The No. 23-ranked Tulsa men’s tennis squad, playing in its eighth straight Conference USA Championship match, fell to the No. 35 Memphis Tigers, 4-2, on Sunday at the Dunavant-Wellford Tennis Center.
The Golden Hurricane (15-7) was aiming for its seventh Conference USA title, but its efforts were thwarted by the Tigers (15-7).
Tulsa dropped the doubles point, losing tilts on the top two courts. On the top court, U of M’s No. 51-ranked David O’Hare and Joe Salisbury defeated TU’s Clifford Marsland and Alejandro Espejo, 8-4. The TU tandem of Tristan Jackson and Grant Ive lost to Connor Glennon and Cedric De Zutter, 8-4, on the second court.
The Golden Hurricane evened the match at one-all in singles play, as No.48-ranked Marsland dispatched Salisbury, 6-3, 6-3. The win marked Marsland’s 10th straight triumph in singles play.
Memphis grabbed a 3-1 advantage after snaring wins on Courts 6 and 3.
Freshman Carlos Bautista cut into the Memphis lead, winning his match at No. 5 singles, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3, over David O’Leary. The win marked Bautista’s 11th straight in singles action, and his third singles win during the tournament.
The Tigers clinched the match on Court 4, as U of M’s Johnny Grimal defeated Espejo, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
Tulsa will wait to see if they earn an at-large selection into the NCAA Tennis Championships. The announcement will made Tuesday, April 30, at 5 p.m. on NCAA Division I Tennis Championships Selection Show televised on NCAA.com
#35 University of Memphis 4, #23 Tulsa 2
Apr 21, 2013 at Memphis, Tenn. (MUS)
1. #41 Japie De Klerk (TLS) vs. Connor Glennon (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
2. #48 Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) 6-3, 6-3
3. Lukas Vrnak (MEMPHIS) def. Grant Ive (TLS) 6-4, 6-0
4. Johnny Grimal (MEMPHIS) def. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. David O'Leary (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. David O'Hare (MEMPHIS) def. Tristan Jackson (TLS) 6-3, 6-3
1. #51 David O'Hare/Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) def. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 8-4
2. Connor Glennon/Cedric de Zutter (MEMPHIS) def. Tristan Jackson/Grant Ive (TLS) 8-4
3. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) vs. Johnny Grimal/Lukas Vrnak (MEMPHIS) 7-4, unfinished
University of Memphis 14-7; National ranking #35
Tulsa 15-7; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,6,3,5,4)
C-USA Men's Tennis Championship Match
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE