McCloskey Clinches the Match as No. 43 Men's Tennis Defeats No. 27 Stanford 4-2 Saturday
May 10, 2014
WACO, Texas - Sophomore Dylan McCloskey's 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3) win at the No. 5 singles position gave No. 43 University of Tulsa a 4-2 win over No. 27 Stanford on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Championships and faces host No. 6 Baylor on Sunday at 2 p.m. in the second round.
"It was a great effort," TU head coach Vince Westbrook said. "It was truly a team victory and everyone contributed to this victory."
The Golden Hurricane (16-12) lost the doubles point after losing at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, but bounced back to win four of five singles matches.
The Cardinals (14-6) extended its lead to 2-0 after a win at the No. 6 singles position, but No. 74 senior Clifford Marsland's 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 win at the No. 1 singles position over No. 118 John Morrissey got TU on the board and cut Stanford's lead to 2-1.
With Marsland's win, he enters a tie for fifth most career singles wins in school history with 87 and to extend his winning streak to six.
The Golden Hurricane tied the score at two after junior Alejandro Espejo's 7-6 (5), 7-6 (5) win at the No. 3 singles position and Tulsa took a 3-2 lead after freshman Or Ram-Harel's 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-3 win at the No. 4 singles position.
Then McCloskey win sealed the victory for the Golden Hurricane to extend is winning streak to five. Only one singles match went unfinished as No. 76 senior Japie De Klerk won the first set 6-4, but lost the second set 6-3 and was winning the final set 5-1 over No. 73 Maciek Romanowicz.
The win gives the Golden Hurricane a 10-15 record in the NCAA Tournament and has made it to the second round in each of the last four seasons and six of the last seven seasons.
Baylor (25-6) defeated Texas A&M Corpus Christi (19-10) 4-0 on Saturday by winning the doubles point and the at the first three singles positions to set up the showdown between the Golden Hurricane and the Bears.
Under Westbrook, the Golden Hurricane has posted a 2-4 record against the Bears, including a 4-0 loss in Waco earlier this season.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
No. 43 Tulsa 4, No. 27 Stanford 2
1. #74 Clifford Marsland (TLS) d. #118 John Morrissey (STAN) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. #73 Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) vs. #76 Japie De Klerk (TLS) 4-6, 6-3, 1-5 unfinished
3. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) d. Daniel Ho (STAN) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (5)
4. Or Ram-Harel (TLS) d. Trey Strobel (STAN) 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-3
5. Dylan McCloskey (TLS) d. Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3)
6. Robert Stineman (STAN) d. Daniel Santos (TLS) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3, 4, 5
1. Jamin Ball/John Morrissey (STAN) d. #27 Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TLS) 8-2
2. Robert Stineman/Daniel Ho (STAN) vs. Japie De Klerk/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 0-0 unfinished
3. Maciek Romanowicz/Trey Strobel (STAN) d. Carlos Bautista/Daniel Santos (TLS) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE