No. 25 Tulsa Men's Tennis Falters Against No.13 Baylor, 4-2 In NCAA Second Round
May 11, 2013
WACO, Texas -
The No. 25-ranked Tulsa men's tennis squad dropped a 4-2 decision to No. 13 Baylor in the second round of the NCAA Championship on Saturday at the Hurd Tennis Center.
The Golden Hurricane (16-8) was denied a third-straight trip to the Round of 16 by the Bears (22-5) who march on to the Sweet 16 for the 12th straight season.
"It was a great night of college tennis," commented Head Coach Vince Westbrook. "It was a tough environment to play in, the Baylor fans are great. The weather was perfect, and it was a perfect night. We came up short because we weren't tough enough tonight. They out fought us, and I tip my cap to the Baylor players and coaching staff."
The Hurricane clinched the doubles point, as the senior duo of Grant Ive and Tristan Jackson dispatched Patrick Pradella and Roberto Maytin, 8-6 on the second court. After falling on the third court, TU clinched the point on the top court. Junior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Alejandro Espejo prevailed over No. 53-ranked Diego Caleano and Mate Zsiga, 9-8 (7-3) to give TU a 1-0 lead.
In singles play, Baylor took matches on the bottom three courts to build a 3-1 advantage.
The lone singles triumph came on the top court, as No. 41-ranked Japie De Klerk defeated No. 24-ranked Patrick Pradella, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
Marsland and De Klerk will compete in the NCAA Singles Championship later this month. The singles and doubles competition will be conducted May 22-27 at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex/Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana, Ill., following the conclusion of the team championship, which runs from May 17-21.
The loss marked the end of the careers of Jackson and Ive. The duo was instrumental in the Hurricane advancing to the Round of 16 for the first time in school history in 2011, and repeating the feat during the 2012 season.
For all Tulsa Men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
#13 Baylor 4, #25 Tulsa 2
May 11, 2013 at Waco, Texas (Hurd Tennis Center)
1. #41 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. #24 Patrick Pradella (BU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. #55 Julian Lenz (BU) def. #56 Clifford Marsland (TLS) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. #84 Mate Zsiga (BU) vs. Grant Ive (TLS) unfinished
4. #109 Tony Lupieri (BU) def. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 6-3, 6-3
5. Diego Galeano (BU) def. Carlos Bautista (TLS) 6-0, 6-3
6. #68 Marko Krickovic (BU) def. Tristan Jackson (TLS) 6-2, 6-0
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. #63 Diego Galeano/Mate Zsiga (BU) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Patrick Pradella/Roberto Maytin (BU) 8-6
3. Tony Lupieri/Julian Lenz (BU) def. Japie De Klerk/Carlos Baustista (TLS) 8-5
Tulsa 16-8; National ranking #25
Baylor 22-5; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,4,1,2)
NCAA Championship Second Round
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE