No. 33 Tulsa Women's Tennis Nets 6-1 Triumph Over No. 61 Ohio State
Feb. 23, 2013
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -
The Tulsa women's tennis squad, ranked No. 33 in the country, picked up a 6-1 victory over No. 61 Ohio State in a neutral-site match at the Billingsley Tennis Center on Saturday.
The Golden Hurricane (7-3) will conclude the weekend facing No. 44 Arkansas tomorrow in a 1 p.m. match.
In doubles play, junior Samantha Vickers and sophomore Isaura Enrique, ranked No. 12 in the nation, dispatched Kelsey Dieters and Kara Cecil, 8-2 at the No. 1 flight. TU secured the point at No. 2 doubles as senior Michelle Farley and freshman Saana Saarteinen took down Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele, 8-6.
At No. 1 singles, in a duel featuring two top-60 singles player in No. 53 Dieters of OSU and No. 55 Vickers of TU, Vickers cruised to a 6-2, 6-2, triumph to give TU a 2-0 lead.
The Buckeyes cut the TU lead in half as Manashirova, ranked No. 93 in singles play, defeated Tulsa junior Maria Sant'Anna, 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 4 flight.
Farley gave the Hurricane a 3-1 advantage defeating Steel at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 7-5, and Saarteinen clinched the win for TU with a 7-5, 8-6 win over Grainne O'Neal at the No. 5 flight.
Also picking up wins for TU were freshman Carol Benito, who claimed a 7-5, 6-2 win over Noelle Malley at No. 6 singles, and Enrique, who defeated Cecil 6-0, 4-6, 6-1 at No. 2 singles
"It was a good tough battle today," commented Head Coach Dean Orford. "We needed a match like this to get used to the away facility in preperation for a very talented and well coached Arkansas team. We always have highly competitive duels against Arkansas, and our match tomorrow should be more of the same."
For all Tulsa women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
Ohio State vs Tulsa
Feb 23, 2013 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Billingsley Tennis Center)
#33 Tulsa 6, #61 Ohio State 1
1. #55 Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. #53 Kelsey Dieters (OHIOST) 6-2, 6-2
2. Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Kara Cecil (OHIOST) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
3. Michelle Farley (TLS) def. Gabby Steele (OHIOST) 6-3, 7-5
4. #93 Fidan Manashirova (OHIOST) def. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) 6-3, 6-4
5. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) def. Grainne O'Neill (OHIOST) 7-5, 8-6
6. Carol Benito (TLS) def. Noelle Malley (OHIOST) 7-5, 6-2
1. #12 Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Kelsey Dieters/Kara Cecil (OHIOST) 8-2
2. Michelle Farley/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) def. Gabby Steele/Fidan Manashirova (OHIOST) 8-6
3. Maria Sant'Anna/Renata Kuricova (TLS) vs. Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OHIOST) 8-8, unfinished
Match Notes: 5-4; National ranking #61, Tulsa 7-3; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,4,3,5,6,2)
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE