No. 23 Women's Tennis Extends Winning Streak to Seven after Defeating No. 52 Kansas State 4-1 Sunday
Feb. 23, 2014
TULSA, Okla. - Junior Isaura Enrique won the clinching match as the University of Tulsa extended its winning streak to seven matches after defeating No. 52 Kansas State 4-1 on Sunday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
After an hour and half doubles point, No. 23 Golden Hurricane (9-1) won the doubles point for the eighth time this season. Sophomore Renata Kuricova and freshman Marcelina Cichon won 8-4 at the No. 3 doubles position, but No. 52 Kansas State (5-3) won the doubles point at the No. 2 doubles position to tie the doubles point.
After senior Samantha Vickers and Enrique were up 7-2 against No. 59 KSU's doubles team of Petra Niedermayerova and Amina St. Hill, the Wildcats duo came back to tie it at seven to force a tie-breaker. TU's duo won the tie-breaker 7-3, the set 8-7 and the doubles point to put Tulsa up 1-0.
Vickers' doubles win was her 80th of her career, which is the sixth most doubles wins in school history.
Kansas State tied the match at one after a win at the No. 4 singles position, but Tulsa took the lead after No. 94 Freshman Yelena Nemchen won her singles match 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 singles position.
Tulsa extended its lead to 3-1 after Cichon's 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 6 singles position. Cichon has won her last 13 matches and is 10-0 this season in team competition.
The Golden Hurricane clinched the match at 4-1 after Enrique's 6-1, 6-1 win at the No. 2 singles position.
With the win, the Golden Hurricane extended its home winning streak to 50 matches and is 112-11 (.911) under head coach Dean Orford in eight-plus seasons.
The Golden Hurricane travels to Houston, Texas for two matches next weekend. TU faces Houston on Saturday, March 1 at 10 a.m., followed by Rice on Sunday, March 2 at noon.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
No. 23 Tulsa 4, No. 52 Kansas State 1
1. #69 Samantha Vickers (TLS) vs. #59 Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) 2-6, 4-2 unfinished
2. Isaura Enrique (TLS) d. Maria Panaite (KSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. #94 Yelena Nemchen (TLS) d. Iva Bago (KSU) 6-1 6-1
4. Palma Juhasz (KSU) d. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) 6-2, 6-4
5. Renata Kuricova (TLS) vs. Livia Cirnu (KSU) 6-3, 4-4 unfinished
6. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Amina St. Hill (KSU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6, 2
1. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (TLS) d. #59 Petra Niedemayerova/Amina St. Hill (KSU) 8-7 (3)
2. Iva Bago/Palma Juhasz (KSU) d. Maria Sant'Anna/Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) 8-3
3. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Maria Panaite/Livia Cirnu (KSU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE