No. 19 Women's Tennis Defeats San Jose State 4-0 Sunday
March 16, 2014
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Freshman Rongrong Leenabanchong's win at the No. 5 singles position gave the University of Tulsa a 4-0 win over San Jose State on Sunday at the Spartan Tennis Complex.
"I thought we played a pretty clean match against a very solid well coached team," TU head coach Dean Orford said. "We are looking forward to the second leg of our California swing on Tuesday."
No. 19 Golden Hurricane (12-3) won the doubles point for the 13th time this season. After losing at the No. 1 doubles position, TU doubles duo of senior Samantha Vickers and sophomore Saana Saarteinen won 8-1 at the No. 3 doubles position and No. 79 sophomore Renata Kuricova and freshman Marcelina Cichon won 8-4 at the No. 2 doubles position to clinch the doubles point.
Leenabanchong's 6-2, 6-3 win at the No. 5 singles position gave TU the 4-0 win.
The Golden Hurricane remains in California to face host No. 16 California (7-4) on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.
For all Tulsa women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
No. 19 Tulsa 4, San Jose State 0
1. #79 Samantha Vickers (TLS) d. Marie Klocker (SJSU) 6-0 ,6-1
2. Isuara Enrique (TLS) vs. Gaelle Rey (SJSU) 4-6, 3-2 unfinished
3. Yelena Nemchen (TLS) vs. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) 7-6 unfinished
4. Renata Kuricova (TLS) vs. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) 6-2, 4-3 unfinished
5. Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) d. Jessica Willett (SJSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Tipper Truong (SJSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5
1. Gaelle Rey/Marie Klocker (SJSU) d. Maria Sant'Anna/Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) 8-2
2. #79 Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Julianna Bacelar/Jessica Willett (SJSU) 8-4
3. Samantha Vickers/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) d. Sabastiani Leon Chao/Justine Deleval (SJSU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE