No. 19 Women's Tennis Completes the Comeback Bid to Defeat Host No. 49 Louisville 4-3 Sunday
April 6, 2014
LOUISVILLE Ky. - No. 19 University of Tulsa women's tennis team completed the comeback bid after trailing 3-1 with freshman Marcelina Cichon's clinching match at the No. 3 singles position to defeat host No. 49 Louisville 4-3 on Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"Another tough battle today," TU head coach Dean Orford said. "We are really pleased with the way our ladies responded after losing a tight doubles point."
The Golden Hurricane (14-4) lost the doubles point for only the fourth time this season. The Cardinals (11-4) won at the No. 1 position with an 8-3 win over Cichon and sophomore Renata Kuricova. It was the first loss the TU doubles duo had on the season as they started out 11-0.
Senior Maria Sant'Anna and sophomore Saana Saarteinen tied the doubles point with an 8-5 win at the No. 3 position. The Cardinals won the final doubles match 8-6 at the No. 2 position for an early 1-0 lead over the Hurricane.
Louisville won the first singles match at the No. 2 position to take a 2-0 lead, but sophomore Carol Benito's 6-0, 6-0 win at the No. 6 position over Cassie Pough cut UL's lead to 2-1.
The Cardinals extended its lead to 3-1 after a win at the No. 1 singles position, but the Golden Hurricane won the final three matches to win the match.
Sant'Anna defeated Becky Bodine 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 5 singles position, while Saarteinen defeated Elle Stokes 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 and Cichon clinched the match for Tulsa with a 7-6, 4-6, 6-1 win at the No. 3 singles position.
With Cichon's singles win, the Skarzusko-Kamienna, Poland native has recorded 27 singles wins, which moves her into fifth most in school history by a freshman and pulls within two wins to tie 10th most wins in school history.
The Golden Hurricane returns home for its final home match of the season against Memphis on Saturday, April 12 at noon at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
For all Tulsa women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
No. 19 Tulsa 4, No. 49 Louisville 3
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) d. Renata Kuricova (TLS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) d. Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) 6-1, 6-0
3. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) 7-6, 4-6, 6-1
4. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) d. Elle Stokes (LOU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) d. Becky Bodine (LOU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Carol Benito (TLS) d. Cassie Pough (LOU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 3
1. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (LOU) d. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (TLS) 8-3
2. Julia Fellerhoff/Elle Stokes (LOU) d. Rongrong Leenabanchong/Carol Benito (TLS) 8-6
3. Maria Sant'Anna/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) d. Olivia Boesing/Becky Bodine (LOU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE