Leenabanchong's Win Clinched the Match as No. 20 Women's Tennis Defeats No. 38 Memphis 5-2 Saturday
April 12, 2014
TULSA, Okla. - Freshman Rongrong Leenabanchong's 7-6 (5), 6-0 win at the No. 3 singles position gave No. 20 University of Tulsa women's tennis team a 5-2 win over No. 38 Memphis on Saturday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
"I fell like our doubles are starting to show improvement in all three positions," TU head coach Dean Orford said. "It was nice to get a good win match in these types of conditions prior to conference. Memphis is always a tough battle. We've got a great tradition with them and both teams always come to play when we see each other every year."
The Golden Hurricane (15-4) won the doubles point for the 15th time this season with wins from sophomore Renata Kuricova and freshman Marcelina Cichon 8-1 at the No. 1 doubles position and from senior Maria Sant'Anna and sophomore Saana Saarteinen 8-5 at the No. 3 doubles position.
Sant'Anna and Saarteinen trailed 5-3, but battled back to win the doubles match by scoring the next five points and to clinch the doubles point for Tulsa.
Memphis (13-8) won the first two singles matches at the No. 5 and No. 1 positions to take a 2-1 lead, but Tulsa tied the match at two after Cichon's 7-5, 6-4 win at the No. 4 position.
Cichon trailed 5-3 in the first set and won the final four points to win the set. The win was her 28th of the season, which is tied for fourth most in school history by a freshman.
Kuricova lost the first set 6-0 at the No. 2 singles position, but battled back to win the second set 6-4 and the third set 6-4 to give the Golden Hurricane a 3-2 lead.
Then Leenabanchong's win clinched the match for Tulsa and Sant'Anna won the final match 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (3) at the No. 6 singles position.
The Golden Hurricane travels to Norfolk, Va., for the Conference USA Tournament from Wednesday, April 16 until Sunday, April 20.
For all Tulsa women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
No. 20 Tulsa 5, No. 38 Memphis 2
1. Skylar Kuykendall (Mem) d. Yelena Nemchen (TLS) 7-5, 6-1
2. Renata Kuricova (TLS) d. Caroline Wegner (Mem) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) d. Stefanie Mikesz (Mem) 7-6 (5), 6-0
4. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Marta Morga (Mem) 7-5, 6-4
5. Anki Wind (Mem) d. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) 6-4, 6-1
6. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) d. Liza Tymchenko (Mem) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (3)
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 2, 3, 6
1. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Skylar Kuykendall/Caroline Wegner (Mem) 8-1
2. Rongrong Leenabanchong/Carol Benito (TLS) vs. Caroline Wegner/Stefanie Mikesz (Mem) 5-2, unfinished
3. Maria Sant'Anna/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) d. Marta Morga/Anki Wind (Mem) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE