No. 21 Women's Tennis Falls to No. 53 Long Beach State 4-3 in First Round of NCAA Championships Friday
May 9, 2014
STANFORD, Calif. - After a 4-hour and 53 minute match, No. 21 University of Tulsa fell to No. 53 Long Beach State 4-3 in the first round of the NCAA Championships on Friday in Stanford, Calif., at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Golden Hurricane (17-6) lost the doubles point for only the sixth time this season. Long Beach State (21-2) won the first doubles match at the No. 3 position to take an early doubles lead, but the Golden Hurricane tied the doubles point after freshman Rongrong Leenabanchong and sophomore Carol Benito's 8-3 win at the No. 2 position. The 49ers clinched the doubles point after winning at the No. 1 position, 8-7 (1).
Tulsa took a 2-1 lead after Leenabanchong's 6-2, 6-0 win at the No. 2 singles position and freshman Marcelina Cichon's 6-3, 6-3 win at the No. 4 singles position.
Cichon's win was her 31st win of the season, which ties for fifth most in school history and ties for second most in school history by a freshman.
Long Beach State tied the score at two after a win at the No. 1 singles position and took a 3-2 lead after a win at the No. 6 singles position.
Sophomore Saana Saarteinen's 6-4, 6-1 win at the No. 5 singles position tied the match at three.
The match came down to the No. 2 singles position between sophomore Renata Kuricova and Ebba Unden. Uden won the first set 7-6 (4), but Kuricova evened the match with a 6-4 win in the second set. Uden outlasted Kuricova 7-6 (6) in the third set for the 49ers to advance to the second round.
For all Tulsa women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
No. 53 Long Beach State 4, No. 21 Tulsa 3
1. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) d. Yelena Nemchen (TLS) 6-1, 6-2
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) d. Renata Kuricova (TLS) 7-6 (4), 4-6, 7-6 (6)
3. Rongrong Leenabanchong (TLS) d. Julie Gerard (LBSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) d. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) d. Hayley Thompson (LBSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Holly Reid (LBSU) d. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 6, 5, 2
1. Ebba Unden/Laura Eales (LBSU) d. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (TLS) 8-7 (1)
2. Rongrong Leenabanchong/Carol Benito (TLS) d. Maeva Razakasoa/Hayley Thompson (LBSU) 8-3
3. Karolina Rozenberg/Holly Reid (LBSU) d. Maria Sant'Anna/Saana Saarteinen (TLS) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE