Tulsa Dominates Opening Day Of Aces For The Cure Tournament
Sept. 21, 2012
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - -
The University of Tulsa women's tennis team opened its fall campaign with a stellar performance during the opening day of the Aces For The Cure Tournament on Friday, September 21 at the Plaza Tennis Center.
During the opening doubles tilt against Princeton, the Golden Hurricane swept the Tigers. The No. 1 doubles team of Samantha Vickers and Isaura Enrique defeated Lindsay Graff and Katherin Flanigan, 8-2. Michelle Farley and Saana Sarteinen teamed up defeat Katie Goeple/Monica Chow in the second slot 8-6, while the No.3 doubles tandem of Maira Sant'Anna and Renata Kurikova defeated Amanda Muliawan and Emily Hahn to complete the sweep, 8-5.
Against Missouri, Farley and Sarteinen defeated Rachel Stuhlmann and Madison Rhyner 8-3 and Sant'Anna/Kurikova defeated Alex Clark and Maria Christensen 8-3 to take the No. 2 and No. 3 double matches, respectively.
In the final matchup of the day, Tulsa faced Oklahoma State in singles play as TU's top four players won their matches against the Cowgirls. Vickers, ranked No. 45 in the ITA Preseason Rankings, defeated C.C. Sardinha 6-3, 6-2, while Enrique rallied to take down Malika Rose 3-6, 6-4, 10-5. Farley also played a close contest against Meghan Blevins, as Farley won the tilt 6-4, 1-6, 11-9. Sant'Anna defeated Kanyapat Narattana 6-1, 4-6, 10-7.
"We had a good solid opening day of our fall season," commented Head Coach Dean Orford. "We got through some tough matches in challenging weather conditions, and it was very nice to see where we are with all our newcomers."
Champions will crowned at each singles and doubles position once the tournament concludes on Sunday.
Action on Saturday will begin at 9 a.m., as the TU will face OSU in doubles play.
For all Tulsa women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis).
Friday, September 21, 2012
Doubles (1st Round) 9:00 AM
Tulsa vs. Princeton
1. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (Tulsa) def. Lindsay Graff/Katherine Flanigan (Princeton) 8-2
2. Michelle Farley/Saana Sarteinen (Tulsa) def. Katie Goepel/Monica Chow (Princeton) 8-6
3. Maria Sant'Anna/Renata Kurikova (Tulsa) def. Amanda Muliawan/Emily Hahn (Princeton) 8-5
Carol Benito/Belen Rivera (Tulsa) def. Joan Cannon (Princeton)/Maria Alvarez (OSU) 8-5
Doubles (2nd round) 10:30 AM
Missouri vs. Tulsa
1. Elisha Gabb/Cierra Gayton-Leach (Missouri) def. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (Tulsa) 8-6
2. Michelle Farley/Saana Sarteinen (Tulsa) def. Rachel Stuhlmann/Madison Rhyner (Missouri) 8-3
3. Maria Sant'Anna/Renata Kurikova (Tulsa) def Alex Clark/Maria Christensen (Missouri) 8-3
Amanda Muliawan/Emily Hahn (Princeton) def. Maria Alvarez (OSU)/Belen Rivera (Tulsa) 8-4
Carol Benito (Tulsa) def. Joan Cannon (Princeton) 8-3
Singles 1:30 PM
Tulsa vs. Oklahoma State
1. Samantha Vickers (Tulsa) def. C.C. Sardinha 6-3,6-2
2. Isaura Enrique (Tulsa) def. Malika Rose 3-6, 6-4, 10-5
3. Michelle Farley (Tulsa) def. Meghan Blevins 6-4,1-6, 11-9
4. Maria Sant'Anna (Tulsa) def. Kanyapat Narattana 6-1, 4-6, 10-7
5. Maria Alvarez (OSU) def. Saana Sarteinen (Tulsa) 6-2,6-3
Extra Match: (mixed teams)
Renata Kurikova (Tulsa) def. Joana Cannon (Princeton) 6-1, 6-4
ATHLETICS TICKET OFFICE